Greens at every meal. That is my goal and a friend of mines mantra! Adding a handful of spinach, sprouts, arugula can be easy but when you want to make a meal that shines I love collard greens. Easy, really!
- Two bunches collard greens
- Half a red or yello onion
- 1-2 tablespoons minced garlic ( I used 2)
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- Salt ( use your taste buds)
- Optional – 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Options- 3 tablespoons oil of choice or mixture. I used 2 tablespoons BACON Fat and 1 tablespoon olive oil. I used olive oil since I am not using high heat.
Method, rinse collard greens well with cold water. Tear or cut out middle stem vein. No need to dry well! Stack and roll leaves. Cut in 1/2-1 inch ribbons. Dice onion. In a cast iron pot ( holds the heat well) I melted my bacon fat and added olive oil on medium low heat. Tossed in my collards, onions, garlic, salt, and red pepper flakes. I then pored my water over everything and set the heat on low. I threw a lid on and let it do its thing for 2 hours. The longer the better but after 45 it would have been yummy.
Serve with roasted meat or rice and beans. Would be great on a sandwich! Love it with Tabasco!